Friday, February 20, 2009

My little "Flour"

So this morning I was baking Matthew's birthday cake for his party tomorrow. I greased the pan, floured it, poured in the batter and put it in the oven. After setting the timer, I went to check my email.
At odd intervals, I kept hearing shrieking giggling, always a bad sign. Not wanting to be distracted from what I was doing (I always regret giving in to that feeling later...) I went into the kitchen and this is what I saw:





I kind of sat there in shock for a second, watching Emma fling a handful at a time down on to the floor. Then before anything else could happen, I grabbed the camera and said smile! It was another moment before I realized she was wearing her new shirt from her Grandma Woods. It says, "GROUNDED FOREVER". So of course I had to have a close up of that too!





Two dustpan-fuls of flour later, Emma had her time-out while I tried to get little flour footprints out of the carpet. I must be a strange mother for looking forward to these moments. Instead of feeling angry, I feel like this is what makes my life fun and interesting. Of course no one knows that but me, and now you. Shh! Don't tell Emma!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Haha, that's awesome that she was wearing that shirt. I also think it's awesome that you were so light-hearted about it.

My mom told me a memory once about how when I was really little I just opened one of the kitchen drawers and started throwing the kitchen towels everywhere, and she started groaning and was about to stop me. But my Grandpa Banks was just smiling at me, and told my mom to enjoy it while it lasts.

I think I even made a mess like that with flour on purpose my freshman year in college, though, so maybe it lasts longer than you think.

The Mike Woods Family said...

I think that's another reason I wasn't mad, because flinging flour is fun....