Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Life goes on and on and onnnnn.... Like the stinkin' desert!

Yes this post is by Erin! I think it's been about a year since I actually posted anything, so it really is my turn. I'm having the most lenient semester I have ever had since returning to school almost a year and a half ago. It is definitely nice to have more time to myself but it's also been a little confusing. I find myself wandering around the house wondering what to do next. My classes are Intro to Statistics and Human Sexuality, both of which just don't have that much work. I think it will actually be a huge blessing though, because Mike is under a staggering load this semester trying to study for his big Chemical Engineering exam, the L3. If he doesn't pass, he will be recycled and have to start the program all over again. He'll pass though, I have faith! All of his studying for this test has to be on top of studying for his full-time class load, so everything and anything I can do to lighten his load around the house and with the kids will mean less stress for him all around. We have always been a couple who "shares the load", as stated by Superhero Samwise the Brave. We don't have assigned duties, we just each do what needs to be done. So if I don't feel like doing dishes, Mike usually does it later. Which means that I need to be a little more vigilant than usual so he won't have anything to do. :)

This week has been absolutely insane. My parents decided they needed to take a vacation, which I fully agree. They have been taking care of Grandma and trying to supervise two kids who are seriously struggling emotionally, on top of my dad working overtime at work and my mom watching my kids often so I can study. So obviously, they needed a break. The problem with them just leaving is that the two youngest (who are 22 and 17) have regular episodes of sneaking out and staying up all night on the internet. Yeah, I know it's really deviant behavior. :) But worrisome enough that my parents didn't want to leave them without supervision. So who did they decide to call on but Mike and me. We ended up agreeing to be in Midway every night, with both me and Mike driving separately to Provo each day. Mike so he can go to school and work and study group, and me so I can get to the gym, take Emma to her tumbling class, get Emma to preschool and back, and then trade with Mike so he can take the kids and I can go to school. After all this we drive back up to Midway and make dinner for the family and make sure they are toeing the line before tucking our kids in, listening to one of them scream for an hour before he finally drops off, and then we can do our homework, do some dishes and finally go to bed! There's the in depth version of our week of insanity. As of today we are halfway through it. Praise Allah!

Emma has been loving the fact that she is in preschool again. She has Miss Marie again, and can actually tell me everything she did each day when she gets home. That's a huge improvement from last year. It's nice to see her speech improving and her social skills getting so much better. She is a very sweet little girl. She wants to know everyone's name and what they like to do, if they are happy. She stopped an elderly woman in the grocery store this week and asked her her name. The woman said, "My name is Hilda. What's your name?" Emma goes, "My name is Emma. What do you like to do?" Hilda proceeded to talk with her a little bit, and when they said goodbye, Emma looked and me and said, "I like Hilda, she's so nice." I hope she keeps caring about people and reaching out to everyone around her! She has the potential to touch a lot of lives.

Matthew is really struggling with his sleep time. He doesn't want to go to bed ever. Both naps and nighttime have been very rough. I've thought of giving him a bath each night before bed, like we used to do when we were sleep training him. It might help soothe him before he goes to sleep. We helped him give up his binky about a month ago, and since then things just haven't been the same. He's really at a loss for how to soothe himself. Maybe I just need to change up the ritual. Poor little guy. Other than that, his speech is really starting to clear up. I've been impressed with how fast he's learned to put sentences together. Even so, I may have early intervention come test him just to be sure he's on track. Even if he's a little behind, speech therapy goes a long way. He's very thoughtful with Emma. If he thinks he's hurt her feelings or taken a toy she wants, he is quick to give her a hug and tell her "I love you". It really melts my heart. :)

All my hard work at the gym is finally starting to pay off! I've had to get my metabolism up by doing lots of strength training and cardio exercises, and also by decreasing my calorie intake a little at a time instead of all at once. After two months of work, the scale is starting to move in the right direction. I know it will take time, but that is the best way to lose weight and keep it off. I'm feeling so much more optimistic about my body! Mike has been so supportive, and even though he really hates working out, he comes with me regularly and keeps me company. I love my husband! He's a great man to have around :)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thanks for making a post Erin. It's nice to hear from you. That "share the load" reference had me cracking up. Haha.