It seems to me that starting a new post is more difficult then squeezing a horse into a VW beetle. I bet you are wondering about our Halloween. Well, due to a lack of foresight on my part, we didn't have our camera ready. We have pictures taken by Grandma, but we have to get them first. Emma wanted to be a bunny, and Matthew wanted to be Woody. Erin is luckly good with a sowing machine and she was able to make them. I had to do some engineering on the bunny ear to help them stand up though. Since we have no pictures, I will now try to the best of my ability to describe the scenes that filled our Halloween. I will attempt old school novel style. We'll see how it goes.
The day started fresh and new. The house was cleaned and ready for the new onslaught of children when ever they decided to get up. I awoke early to take an exam at school. It was my second attempt at my senior level exam. I was fairly distressed as I missed six, but will attempt again in January. The air was crisp and stung my face causing a flush of red on my cheeks as I dejectedly walked to my car for the lonely drive home.
After arriving upon my destination I opened the door and was greeted by smiling children, happy and ready to attack anything that held the semblance of being orderly or clean. Since they had been cleaned and fed, my wife and I decided that we should depart henceforth to the place of my birth. This owing to such vices as boredom, and the fact that my parents would feed us lunch. So the children donned their costumes and we started on our long trek to Salt Lake City.
It is always nice to journey in the morning hours. It is too early for the slower voyagers to be on the roads and hence the condition of the roads was quite favorable. Due to a matter of logistics we met my parents at Costco. They were excited to see the children in their costumes. My mother quickly took my wife and daughter from me and left me with my father and son. We sought after the normal masculine isles containing objectives like electronics, computers, and tools. The conversation lingered on topics like what features a new printer had, or how a lithium ion battery is more efficient then the older batteries. Once these items had been talked about and the a fore mentioned isles visited we met with the females in the family and decided that pizza would be in order for lunch. My mother intended to purchase a gold dress for Emma with a black bodice for Christmas. My wife and I are excited to see it on Emma. After the items were purchased we separated ways with my parents with an oath to reconvene at their home for afternoon refreshment. I am happy to say that both the company and the pizza were well received at that time.
We took our leave from my family at a little before 2:00 to start our arduous journey up Parley's canyon and onto Midway were My wife's family was waiting to receive us. The children ran to play with their uncle Ian while The rest of us helped attend to dinner. This particular dinner was to be a grand occasion because my brother in law, Nathan, was to bring the object of his affections to sup with the family for the first time. Before dinner could begin however, the matter of tricks and treats needed to be addressed. The children were gathered and new makeup was then applied in preparation to leave.
The day had gone from a bright sunny day, to a dismal cold rain. Midway tends to be about 10 degrees cooler then Salt Lake or Provo. We started to visit some of neighbors that Erin knew well. Owing to the rain we decided to only visit a couple more houses before returning home. Erin's grandparents were happy to see the children and take there leisure with us for a short time. The time passed quickly though and we returned the matter of supper at my wife's parent's house.
Dinner was a great experience. Everyone was in such grand humor that not a dry eye was to be found. The young lady that accompanied Nathan was welcomed into the home with such a grand and loving manor that I found myself jealous. I was not offered such a welcome when first I met this family. I am happy to report that the young lady found the family most agreeable and she now looks forward to many more such encounters.
The after dinner entertainment was a viewing of old slides upon an old slide projector. As this was the first time that Nathan brought a guest to visit with the family, most of the slides were upon the topic of him. Many times I have been thankful that this family does not possess any slides with my countenance upon them.
We soon left and returned to our place of residence to prepare for what was to be the final occurrence of that day. Nathan was again to join us with his young love for a viewing of "Lord of the Rings". The children, no doubt tired from the days happenings, fell asleep quickly leaving my wife and I a little reprieve before the addition of our guests. Upon their arrival a refreshment of corn bread and hot chocolate was made much to delight of everyone. The film was then started and, owing to the events of the day, everyone fell asleep. Upon reaching the mid section of the film Nathan and his girl of his affections decided to take their leave. Upon which my wife and I went to bed. Thus ending a day filled with travel, adventure, costumes, and attempting to keep the flow of sugar into our children as moderated as possible.
On Schedule by Summer Dowell
4 years ago

2 comments:
How long did it take you to write this? I felt like I was reading a mix between a textbook, and old time novel and a modern comedy. Whew! sounds like you guys had a good day though.
Bored with the same old writing style, eh?
LOTR and cornbread sounds great! Maybe I'll whip me up some of both of those tonight :)
Post a Comment