Thursday, July 3, 2008

Oh the joys of living at home.... AGAIN

How time flies! It is incredible to think that I am living at home with my parents again, and to have my own kids, and to try to find my place here all over again. Weirder still are the feelings that I need to get up to go to school (heaven forbid) or that I need to do my chores or something. Funny how that whole focus changes when you move out, and suddenly chores are just something you do on your own without being nagged all the time. Now I do a lot of the work around here, and I actually enjoy keeping things nice. Who'da thunk?

The one thing I can't get over is that I feel like an adult failure... moving in with your parents when you're married and have kids?? Wow that kid has problems... ;) I know there is a good reason and there was no doubt that this was what we needed to do, but guilt always hangs out in the back of the room somewhere.

Mike is enjoying his classes. I have never seen him so positive about his schoolwork before. He comes home happy and actually enjoys his homework (mostly). It raises the hope that he will enjoy his career, when that time finally comes. He also has more time for the kids, and for just hanging out. It's a big relief to just have time to spend together as a family. I really like it.

Emma is driving us crazy. She has started getting up out of bed because there are so many people to "play" with downstairs. She comes down all happy and excited and you feel like a big jerk hauling her back upstairs to her nightly doom. We've started shutting the door, and tonight is the first night she made a few squawks and settled down to sleep. I hope it will become a pattern!! She is a definate sweetheart, and has been very cute lately. She has been saying a lot more, and expressing herself more through words. She asks questions, and tells me what she wants or needs. She even tells me when she's gone "potty" (in her diaper of course). That's another beast to tackle in the near future. The fun never ends! ;)

Matthew has also been a little cutie. He is smiley and happy and such a delight. He loves to be played with, looked at, paid attention to. He will actively participate in games, peek-a-boo is a thrill a minute. He laughs and laughs. It is a joy to know my children are happy. I don't think I've ever felt a more content feeling than seeing them cared for and honestly happy in their lives.
Of course there are the off times, like this last week when Matthew has been teething! :) He is getting his two bottom teeth in at once and they are causing him some pain. Tylenol and teething tablets have been our source of sanity these past couple of days. Pretty soon they will push through and he will be his happy little self again.

I have finally gotten used to living here I think. I'm finding a balance between being the child and the mother. It is nice to have people here during the day, it breaks up the monotony a lot. I enjoy being with my family. (Never thought I'd admit that... ;)

1 comment:

jeff said...

Hi Erin (or Mike). I'm a writer for the LA Times doing a story about adult kids moving home with parents due to economy. Is this you? What solutions have you found for readjusting to life with your parents as an adult?