Monday, July 6, 2009

Independence Day!!

Yeah for America!! I do consider myself a patriot. I would be waving a flag right now, but I can't actually afford one. Sorry, my kids need to eat. I love our country and I would fight for it if I was called upon to do so. Because of my major, I would probably be called to make bombs or something. We have a great country. I really thought about it when we were watching fireworks in Midway. Isn't it great that we have the freedoms that we do. It is also nice to celebrate America with a Chinese tradition. So, enough rambling.

Our fourth was a little different this year. Not much actually happened that we planned. We were going to visit my parents in Salt Lake, but a blown starter on our Passat soon took care of that idea. We have another on it's way from Connecticut. For those keeping track on our Passat issues let me catch you up to date: one rebuilt engine, two cataletic converters, O2 sensors, two brake jobs, one ABS control module (still needs to be replaced), one starter, two tie rods, 4 control arms, one clutch plate, three front axles, and the usual tires/oil changes. We just need to replace the exhaust, transmission, and the alternator in order for us to have an almost new car!

Midway decided to do something a little different this year. They were holding what they called "The small town fourth". They had music, food, stuff...I'm actually not sure of what they had. Once we found that we were surrounded by music we didn't like and couldn't get away from, we got in my clunker car and limped to Park City to visit Wal-Mart to wait it out.

We ate really good yesterday. We had homemade donuts, root beer, and a BBQ. The root beer was awesome. We usually buy the McCormick brand extract and it does a decent job, but the store started selling Hires Big H brand. We thought we would give that a try. It was worth it! We are still drinking it. Yum. I'm kind of a root beer sob.

Midway always does a great job with their fireworks. There is an oddly placed hill in Midway call Memorial Hill. It is where the tributes to our war heroes are. They launch the fireworks right off of this hill so the entire town can see it. Erin's Parent's house is about a block away from the hill so we had great seating. The kids loved it. I think that they just loved staying up that late. Matthew didn't really like the fireworks at first. We had to warm him up to them. All in all, a good day was had by all.

No comments: