Monday, February 28, 2011

Erin's Trip to Seattle

I just got back last night from a fantastic weekend vacation to the Seattle area in Washington state. I went up to visit my good friend Mindy who just moved there at the end of last year. It was a good excuse to get away for awhile and visit a good friend, not to mention see somewhere new!

I left Friday morning at 9:30, and Mindy picked me up at the airport with her two adorable little girls. We spent the day talking and catching up, and that night we went out on the town to do dinner and a movie, but the wear and tear of the day finally caught up with me and we ended up heading home to watch a movie there instead.

Saturday morning we got up, lounged around, ate breakfast and took off on day trip. We drove to Bremerton to ride a ferry into Seattle. On the way we went across the Narrows Bridge which I thought was pretty cool. Apparently some time ago it actually failed when it had some stability problems, but since then they've fixed it up and nothing bad happened to us when we crossed it.


We passed the Puget Sound Navel Shipyard on the way to the ferry as well. Mike was really interested in this because he would love to work there someday. To me it looked kind of gray and depressing, but then I'm not a chemical engineer! :) It was pretty cool to see all the docked ships, they were huge!

We waited in line for the ferry for about 20 minutes, and then we were able to drive on. We parked, and then went up to the higher levels of the ship for sightseeing. The view was amazing, my camera wasn't able to capture it properly. I think everyone should take a ferry ride if they get the chance! We had a blast!


The ferry ride lasted about 30 minutes, and once we docked in Seattle we drove off the ship and right into downtown craziness. We passed the Seattle Art Museum which would have been fun to visit. We went looking for the Space Needle, since we had decided that would be our next tourist attraction. Once we got there (after a few wrong turns!), the sign said it would be $8 for valet parking, so we pulled in and just as we were going to let them park the car, I thought to ask if it was really $8, and they said no it was $20. It's $8 if you are just going to their restaurant. Stupid fine print. So we drove around and found a place to park and then hiked in, which gave us a taste of how cold it would be up on the observation deck! It took 41 seconds to ride up (supposedly) and then we took tons of pictures of the view, with an especially pretty picture of the area we came from on the ferry. All in all, pretty cool but I don't know that I would spend $18 again unless I was bringing that special someone (which I hope to do!).




After the Space Needle, we were getting pretty hungry for some seafood. Mindy let me drag her to a place called the Crab Pot, where she tried seafood that wasn't from Red Lobster for the first time, and it seemed to make a good impression on her. As for my own opinion, fresh seafood (not flown in to Utah, but from a restaurant right on the ocean) is absolutely incredible and I wish I could eat there weekly. Maybe more. I had a hard time with the shrimp heads, that was weird, and the mussels and clams were just okay. But the crab was phenomenal, and so was the fish! Especially the halibut. I am so hungry just writing this... Good thing I took pictures so I can relive the memories!





We had such a fun time, but we were totally drained the next day. So we spent Sunday lounging around, eating food, napping and just relaxing. It was so fun to talk and catch up, and it was definitely the most fun I have had in years. I can't wait to visit again, and to bring Mike with me next time! Thanks Mindy for such an amazingly fun vacation!

No comments: