Life has been getting pretty hecktic over the past few months. I will take a quick moment to tell you about them all.
I have actively been persuing a job since October. The problem that I was having is that my GPA....well....really stinks. So I'm not on the top of anyone's hiring list. I have a friend in my program with me that recommended me for a job that his father had. In March is when I had my over the phone interviews. The fun thing is that Erin was invited to all the interviews as well. We had a face to face interview with my friends dad at the begining of April and I was offered the job.
The company name is Metso. They make machines that produce paper. I will be assigned to work in a paper mill in Anderson SC maintaining equipment and improving proceedures. It is something that I really enjoy doing and I think that I will do very well at it.
This is the point where things start getting crazy. The last interview was done on the 9th I believe. I could be wrong. They wanted me to start on the 2nd of May in Norcross Georgia for training.
We took a house hunting trip and found a really cute place in a city called Flowery Branch Georgia. We are supposed to be here for 3-4 months while I train. We really enjoyed the place, but it was about this time that we realized how far away everything was and how much we will miss our home. While on this trip we did get to go to the Atlanta temple open house. It was a nice reminder of what is really important.
When we got home we contacted the movers and started to initiate the move. Graduation was only a week away at the point and finals were in full swing. Needless to say it was a stressful week. We told the moving company that we needed to be in before the 2nd and they said it wasn't a problem.
Graduation was long and boring! Erin said that I needed to do it because of all the work and effort that my family and I all put into it. I can understand all that, but it was still long and boring. I couldn't even sleep during it. So, during the ceremony I watched my neighbor play angry birds.
The night of graduation we had all of our family and friends over for a quick goodbye party. We say a lot of our good friends and a lot of friends that we don't get to see very often. It was a good evening and I hope that everyone enjoyed it.
This is when stuff gets more crazy. The movers picked up our stuff the following Tuesday and we moved to Erin's parents house until Friday. The movers chose this time to inform us that they will try to get the stuff to us by the 2nd, but it could take until the 5th. Frusterated, we waited until the time came for us to fly to Georgia.
Flying was fun with the kids actually. They did really well. The second we touched down we had to be hurring to our rental car so we could make it to our new home to sign the lease agreement before they closed. Anytime you are in a hurry, there is something that will stop you from being in a hurry. The rental car took forever to get. Once we received the car, Erin drove as fast as she could, but we were 15 min late. We decided to leave when we got a call saying that they were waiting for us still. It was nice that we were able to sign the lease.
It was about this time that Erin realized that she setup the utilities on the wrong house by mistake and we would not have any hot water until it could be fixed. It was late already and the utilities were closed. We had to wait until Monday to fix the situation.
We stayed at a hotel that night with the kids. This ended up being a big mistake. They stayed up most of the night and wouldn't really sleep. Erin and I were so frusterated that we decided that even though we didn't have anything in our new home we would stay there anyway and get out of the hotel. We left the following morning and started looking at sofa sleepers for something to sleep on. We found a nice one but they wouldn't deliver that day. We decided to rent a Uhaul truck to pick it up and we would move it in. We again had to rush because the wearhouse where we were storing our things was going to close at 5:00 and it was 4:15 at the time. I was running downhill to the Uhaul store when I realized that my top half was going faster then my bottom. I fell, scratched up my right side and dislocated my left shoulder. Please be informed that insurance for us doesn't start until June. We decided not to rent the uhaul at that point in time. Erin drove me to a instacare unit and they tried to put the shoulder back in place but weren't able to because of the pain. We went to the ER then and they decided to put me asleep for 10 min so they could relocate my shoulder. I felt really good when I woke up.
Since I can not move the sleeper anymore we decided to let them deliver it and we would sleep on an air matress until it came. We went to walmart that night and spent over $600 in sleeping, eating, and living items. We called the shipping agency and they now indicated that our stuff was still in Provo and would be to us by the 5th at the latest.
That night it came to our attention that the sleeping bags we got for the kids didn't contain any sleeping bags at all. Erin rushed back to the store at midnight to replace them. When she got back I had to tell her that our pump for the airmatress needed batteries to operate. So she left again. We got to sleep at 1:00.
The next day was Sunday. We got up and got ready for church. With everything that we have been going through church sounded like a blessed relief. We were hoping to meet someone that would let us use their washing machine. We made it to the church building a little late and no one was there. A sign on the door said that it there was no church due to the Atlanta Temple dedication.
We got home dejected. I tried to unlock the door and realized that the front door has 2 dead bolts. Both can be locked from the inside, but only one can be unlocked from the outside. I had locked both locks and ran out of the garage while it closed. We didn't have a garage door opener either. We were sucessfully locked out and I even had the key in my hand. We called the complex to see if they could help, they refused. It was a good thing that I had a friend that brought a ladder to reach our 2nd story balacony. Luckly that door was open. Good friends are a blessing!
That night we looked up of the phone number for the bishop and tried to see if we could meet a member that would help us wash our clothes. We were able to get a call back from the Elders Quorm with some assistance. We were to meet a family on Monday night and they will allow us use of their washing machine. I love the church!
Monday brought some more disappointment. We wouldn't get hot water until Wednesday, The truck still was in Provo and wouldn't leave until Tuesday, the cost of our rental car was getting really expensive at this point, and we still didn't know anyone close.
We spent the night with ward members doing our laundry. It felt good to be around people of our own faith again. I never realized how I would miss it. When we got home we decided to put more faith in God and rededicate ourselves to doing his will. Needless to say, it worked.
Tuesday came and we purchased a mini-van. We have a 2005 honda Odysee. We love it. My Dad was able to get us some more money to pay off the rental car because we kept it 2 days longer then we should have. We slept really well that night.
Wednesday came and we found out that our stuff left Provo and would be to us the following Tuesday. This is over a week later then we were anticipating. The hot water came on that day. There was much rejoicing.
Saturday found us driving to see Anderson SC where we will live eventually. It was a nice little town that reminded us of American Fork. The thing that we didn't like is that there is no inside smoking laws. We were eating when we noticed tons of people around us lighting up. Because Erin was pregnant we left quickly.
Church on Sunday was awesome. Erin made friends very quickly and I bumped into an old missionary buddy. It was nice to have someone that I know. The strange thing is that when I met him on the mission I thought how weird it would be to come from such a backwards place like Georgia.
We used the webcam to wish our parents a happy mothers day. I got homesick watching everyone interacting with eachother. It is the first holliday that we had away from home. I hope that we will get used to it.
The job is going great. It is mostly just going through safety training and reading product specs. It will be nice to get into the swing of things.
Our stuff will be here tomorrow. I can't tell you how excited we all are about it.
Monday, May 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment